A few months back, I wrote a post about doing a hand reg experiment. The point was simple, to see if we could hand register a domain name and sell it for profit.
Why did I want to try an experiment like this?
I frequently read blog posts and forums such as Namepros as see many people arguing if it’s worth it to dig through dropped lists. If you’ve ever looked through a dropped list, you know how daunting that task can actually be. There are MILLIONS of domain names that drop everyday.
Well because lots of people have worthless domains. So it was my job to look through this rubbish to see if I could find worthwhile domains a business could use.
Let me tell you right now, this IS NOT easy. But honestly, what in life is easy that’s actually worth it?
There are a few strict rules I like to stick to when looking to hand reg a domain:
- .COM – I only stick to .com when it comes to this.
- CPC – I like to see a healthy CPC. Shows me advertisers are willing to spend money on this term.
- SV – Search volume is NOT incredibly important but I do like seeing some SV action!
- English – Goes without saying, sticking to English words only.
- WBY – The older the creation date the better. If you’re using ExpiredDomains.net, then you know what I mean. Yes, the creation date WILL CHANGE once you hand reg the domain but it’s always good to see SOMEONE ELSE thought this domain was valuable in the past as well. 😉
Ok…so you may be wondering. How did we make the sale? (2 sales actually)
Both of the sales happened the same way, about 1 month after each other.
Initially, I sent out a few emails to specific end users for the domains and got approximately ZERO responses…ouch.
So I kinda forgot about them BUT I made sure I put them as a Godaddy auction listing. I used MAKE OFFER/BUY IT NOW.
I usually don’t list domains elsewhere and I could be making a mistake but for these I was looking for end user sales and I know Godaddy is the most popular registrar on the planet so what I think happened was this.
The user typed in MyDomain.com in the Godaddy search bar. Godaddy then showed, “Yes! Your domain is available. Buy it before someone else does”.
Then, they decided to buy, I got an email that they purchased.
It looked like this…
So to wrap things up, YES you can sell hand registered domains for GREAT ROI. In this case, the ROI on this purchase was about 2,223%. Yeah…wild.
If you have any questions or comments, share them in the comment section below!
If you haven’t joined our email list yet, what are you waiting for? Join here.