Should You Always Counter The Initial Domain Offer – 3 Things To Consider

The art of negotiation can be pretty tough when it comes to selling your domain names. Many of us always wonder what is the right price of a name and how do we even determine how much to sell the name for. At first, it may seem to be difficult but once you get more experience it becomes a bit simpler.

I have talked about pricing your domains in the past but this post will focus on how to deal with an inbound offer on your domain and if you should agree right away to the first offer. The most common approach is to either take the first offer in order to simply sell the name or counter with a larger number.

Of course I’ve done both of these but it’s always good to have a strategic approach for better results.

You must first ask yourself:

  • What is your pricing strategy?

The pricing strategy that we implement is quite simple, we take note of our total investment for that domain. This includes the initial purchase price and the yearly fee for the domain. The longer we hold a name the more it continues to build as an “expense”. When it comes to selling the name our goal is to initially price the name at 50 times our initial investment when countering an offer and we know we are willing negotiate down to 10 times our investment.

Of course, these numbers are not always set in stone but a good road map for us. If you have no idea what price you want for a domain, how will the buyer know?

  • Who is inquiring about the domain?

This one is critical. Knowing if the potential buyer who gave an offer is a large company and how much they make can help you get a sense of what you could reasonably counter with. Many times it is not possible to know who the offer is from but you can always try to google the email, phone number or if they gave their name you can google that as well.

This is a very important step. Do not look over it. The more information you have about the potential buyer, the better.

  • How many inquiries have you received?

This usually determines if you should keep your domain for another year, longer or let it drop. But I usually tend to give most domains we get the benefit of the doubt for at least one year. If we get a couple of inquiries then we will keep the domain longer to wait for the right buyer. Even one strong inquiry could lead us to hold a domain for several years.

One thing you should always keep in mind is this is simply a strategic approach but it’s easy to over analyze and make a dumb move like holding a domain that you should have sold.

If an offer comes and it’s a “solid” offer, just go ahead and close the deal. When that happens to us we simply do not hesitate. We’ve blown mid $x,xxx deals by asking for more.

Let me hear your thoughts in the comments below and any stories you may have with accepting or rejecting initial offers!

If you haven’t yet, make sure to stay updated to our blog and join our email list here.

Will is the CEO & Co-Owner of The Limitless Legacy Network LLC, where his company focuses on buying and selling online properties. He also creates, manages and grows the companies website assets through SEO strategies. Stay updated to their blog by joining their free newsletter here

If you are interested in viewing their domain portfolio, visit their company website here.

9 thoughts on “Should You Always Counter The Initial Domain Offer – 3 Things To Consider

  1. Many buyers if you accept there price right away even if they offered you a price you like, will think they should of came in less, and than try to re-negotiate for lower price.

    • This is a good point and something I think about as well. If the price is something you like though I would still accept it and hope transaction goes smoothly.

      – Will

  2. I think in my opinion is to always counter offer, cause no buyer will ever come with a honest price and by countering the first offer you can get or close to the appropriate price of the buyer.
    But one major issue is that, the counter offer should not be too much in my opinion.

    • Yes I agree, if you decide to counter you should always do so with a reasonable price. Of course I am sure many of us get the so called low ball offers and some people simply won’t pay for the value of the domain. If the person is serious they will keep negotiating and eventually come to an agreement in price.

      – Will

    • This is a good tactic since yes the other person will feel like they got the name at the price they wanted. This will work only if the price they are willing to pay is the price you are willing to sell the name for.

      – Will

    • 😀 nice line! Yes finding that balance will be key. This is why it is important to give it some thought before making the final decision. I always hear the line, “Better to sell now than sell later.” I agree with this as long as you are selling for a good profit to reinvest back into more/better domain assets.

      – Will

  3. Personally I like to feel like I’m getting a good deal on anything that I buy. As with my domains I like to make the end user feel like they are getting a good deal as well. The problem is when they low ball you on a domain name that’s clearly a mid xxx to low x,xxx figure. Not to long a go I was offered mid xx for such a domain. When I countered with a good price they never replied.

Leave a Comment

Make Sure To Join Our Newsletter And Stay Updated With Our Blog...IT'S FREE!
Why You Should Look Into What Domain Names DONT Sell - Play button
We respect your privacy.